Thursday, June 6, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 06/05/13: Reading Jennifer Haigh, Visit to the Doctor, Fun at Billy Mac's

1.  I read the first of a collection of short stories by Jennifer Haigh.  The collection is News from Heaven and the story's title is "Beast and Bird". I enjoyed it.  I read it as a story of a rural Catholic teenage girl coming from Pennsylvania coal country into the Jewish world of New York City and losing some of her naivete and beginning to come of age.  I look forward to reading more of Haigh's stories. 

2.  Within the reality of my chronic kidney disease, my visit to the doctor today wasn't too bad.  It's not good that the level of creatinine in my blood is up.  This indicates that my kidneys have lost some more function.  But, the increase isn't alarming and I can continue to do things to stay as stable as possible.  The disease continues to progress slowly.  Good news:  I've lost 12 pounds in the last several months since I last saw the doctor.  The giving my car away so I walk more and garden work is paying off, in my opinion.  So are some adjustments in my diet.  They continue.  My blood pressure, which cannot be high for the health of my kidneys, is actually lower than we'd like, but I'm not having dizzy spells or anything.  So that's good.  Everything else checked out just fine.  I see my kidney doctor in July.  The best news from my point of view is that I feel great. 

3.  Dinner at Billy Mac's turned into the Deke and I meeting new people (Bill, Steve, Kathy) and the evening turned into a fun gabfest at the bar.  We left pumped after having so much fun.

No comments: