Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 06/04/13: WR 115 Winds Down, Quiet Lunch, Gloria

1.  My WR 115 students could finish the course today if they handed in their last essay early and nearly all of them did.  I'll return most of the essays on Thursday and a very good quarter will come to an end.  This has been an easy group of students.  I saw improvement in their writing and they worked right along with the things I assigned them to do.  We enjoyed each other.  In fact, it's been this way all year long in WR 115, so I leave the school year feeling good about the work we've done.

2.  I enjoyed a quiet lunch at the Bier Stein.  The reuben was good and so was the pasta salad.  The two half beers were also good, a Hef from Germany and an Alaskan ESB.  I had a good short conversation with Dave ("You doin' okay, brother?") about how browns, ESB, and ambers were all the rage as microbrews emerged around here.  I hope they make a comeback, although none of them have disappeared.  I sure enjoy all three styles.

3.  YouTube.  Patti Smith.  "Gloria".  SNL.  Holy Saturday becomes Easter Sunday.  April 17, 1976.  Pure.   In Excelsis Deo.

No comments: