Monday, August 26, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 08/25/13: Argo, Beer Tasting, Woody Allen Documentary

1.  It's tense, that's for sure.  It made me nervous and made my mind race with dreadful images of what might happen to these six U.S. diplomats and whether the scheme to free them would work.  I wanted Argo to end because the tension was making me feel a little sick.  I also thought that if I were making a movie, the first person I would cast, no matter what, would be Alan Arkin.

2.  The Deke and I had a modest beer tasting here in our humble abode and enjoyed some of Pelican's Kiwanda Cream Ale followed by Silver Moon's Snakebite Porter and ended with HUB's Survival 7-Grain Stout.  It was a good progression of beers and mighty tasty and relaxing.

3.  I really don't know how I already knew so much about Woody Allen as a filmmaker.  Maybe the unpredictability of his style and approach to movie making led me to conclude that he makes movies without much concern for commercial success or approval of the critics.  Maybe I'd heard that talked about before or had already read it.  For years now, I've thought no such thing as a "Woody Allen movie"exists.  Aside from the typeface set against a black background that he uses to run credits, and his love of jazz soundtracks, his movies do not fall into any hard and fast categories.  It's what I enjoy so much about his work.  This is all on my mind because I stayed up until 1:30 a.m. watching a three hour documentary about him on Netflix.  I enjoyed the documentary so much that I stayed up way past my usual time of going to sleep to watch it all, and, oddly, I seemed to already know much of what Woody Allen and others had to say about his approach to film and his way of directing actors.  I didn't know a lot of the biography the movie covered, though, and particularly enjoyed learning about his early life in Midwood, Brooklyn. 

No comments: