Thursday, August 15, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 08/14/13: Coffee and Bagel, I'd Like More Time, Splendid Chicken Dinner

1.  Christy, Carol, and I got ourselves all packed up, checked out of the Alpine Inn, and went downtown in Nelson on Baker Street for coffee at the Kootenay Bakery Cafe.  I loved my toasted sesame bagel with herb cream cheese and drip coffee -- and the woman who served us came to our table and offered to take our pictures.  She was lovely to us and, I noticed, to many other customers who came in -- just what I love in a place and what, if I lived in Nelson, would keep me coming back.

2.  We stopped in Salmo and Carol picked up a 12 pack of Okanogan Hard Apple Cider and, with a wrong turn here and a u-turn there we made it back to the U.S.A., beaming with the joy of having had a great, but too short, of a time in the greater Nelson, B.C. area.  I hope to return one day and have more time just to sit on benches on the sidewalks of Nelson, Salmo, and Kaslo and other places and enjoy the views and the coffee and goings on around me.  I'd like to spend a half day or so taking pictures of the woman making glass in Crawford Bay.  I'd soak again at Ainsworth.  For my next trip, should it ever happen, I'd just give myself more time to sit and watch and listen.  And then more time to walk up and down the the hills of Nelson...and maybe be there at the right time for the Eucharist at St. Saviour's on Ward Street.

3.  Carol had to go back to the Silver Valley to perform in the Melodrama.  Darn it.  More time together would have been fun.  (It's all good.)   Christy fixed a great dinner:  chicken on the George Foreman, sauteed zucchini in butter, garden fresh green beans and bacon, and tomato, right out of the garden, sliced.  It was a relaxing and fulfilling close to a splendid day.


No comments: