Friday, August 2, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 08/01/13: Dean's Homestyle Cafe, Stories at Billy Mac's, Revisiting "The Wire"

1.  I you are looking for a really tasty breakfast and friendly service in Clackamas, OR, head over to Dean's Homestyle Cafe.  Nancy, Terry, and I ate their this morning and I enjoyed my bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, English muffin, and coffee a lot and enjoyed the atmosphere as well.  I have greatly reduced my consumption of eggs, potatoes, bread, and meat, so when I am away from home and go to a place like Dean's and indulge myself, it's really fun and tasty. It's been a boost to my morale to be more disciplined about what I eat and it's a boost to my morale sometimes not to be legalistic and to wander off the straight and narrow. 

2.  Lynn and Pam and I had arranged to meet at Billy Mac's this evening and Pam invited Prof. Monika to join us and we had a great time talking about a lot of things.  In particular, Lynn and Pam and I discussed the fascinating, smartly put together documentary memoir movie, The Stories We Tell and I fully enjoyed hearing what their thoughts and impressions were.  One common thread in our discussion:  we loved the movie.

3.  After I saw Fruitvale Station, I read more about Michael B. Jordan and learned that he appeared in the first season of The Wire and was in a particularly bleak and famous scene in episode 12.  I went back this evening and watched episodes 12 and 13 and watched the partial demolition of the Barksdale crew and once again felt the awe that show fills me with.

No comments: