Friday, August 30, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 08/29/13: Reunion and The World's End, Dinner with Friends, New Liquor Store

1.  Another day meeting up with a long-time friend.  Mark Stern was a student of mine in composition and Shakespeare about twenty years ago and we've kept in touch and today we went to the mall and watched the day's first showing of  "The World's End" and then it was time for lunch and we went to the Bier Stein for sandwiches, Bart's Best Bitter and a couple of Czech pilsners.  We enjoyed wide-ranging conversation, a movie that was nothing like anything I ever go see, and getting caught up on many years of stuff going on in our lives.

2.  Francoise and Herb invited the Deke and me over for buttery filet mignon, silky mashed potatoes, firm asparagus, and red wine, wide-ranging conversation, and a good time with their sons, both of whom were students of the Deke.

3.  Eugene has had at least two of the dingiest liquor stores I've ever been in.  The one on West 6th is still open and I always take a flashlight with me if I go there so I can find what I want and the other one, now closed, was on W. 8th, where going to the liquor store was like walking into a Goth nightclub.  Now, the W. 8th store has moved to W 11th and it is airy and well-lit, with easy parking and I can leave my flashlight in the car.

No comments: