Thursday, October 12, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 10/11/17: The List, Pilgrim's Market, Beer and Dinner with the Deke

1. I have a long list of things to do. Moving to a new state, moving into a different house, being the executor of Mom and Dad's estate requires a lot of tasks ranging from inventorying Mom's assets to getting an Idaho drivers license with all kinds of things in between like continuing to move things out of the house, figuring out repairs and improvements and furnishings, and getting back into a medical routine. I made some progress on these things and, with each item on the list that gets done, I breathe a bit more freely.

2. The Deke attended a knitting group at a yarn store in Coeur d'Alene that knits scarves for vets and I decided to use the time to scout the beer, wine, produce, groceries, and other goods at Cd'A's Pilgirm's Market.  The store strongly impressed me. I went straight to the beer section. They stock premium beers in great variety and sell create your own mixed six packs (unavailable in Greenbelt, Maryland!). They also serve draft beer and fill growlers. I didn't buy any beer today, but I will one day.  I bought some strong cheese and a little bottle of port wine for the Deke and me. I I picked up some curry making items. I got a block of tofu, some Nancy's yogurt, and a few other things. My plan is to be loyal to Yoke's and Stein's here in Kellogg, but to drop into Pilgrim's from time to time to supplement our pantry with what I don't find in Kellogg.  The baked goods at Pilgrim's looked awesome and so did their grill and deli and I saw some probiotic fermented carrots, jala and cabbage, under the brand of Cultured Mama, made in CdA, that also looked delicious.

3.  After my study of Pilgrim's Market and making a few purchases, I picked up the Deke and we headed over to Slate Creek Brewing and I enjoyed a superb pint of Rye IPA. Slate Creek's tasting room is cozy with cement floors and concrete walls. It reminds the Deke and me a little bit of the tasting room at DC Brau and we love it. We also enjoyed a bowl of peanuts in the shell. The Deke and I fell into some superb conversation and wanted to continue it, so we plopped down at the short bar (or as we call it, thinking table) at Daft Badger and I was blown away by the sweet, peaty, smoky, slightly bitter beauty of Daft Badgers Scotchy Scotch Scotch Scotch Ale.

The Deke and I arrived back in Kellogg before it was totally dark and the Deke went right to work making bacon, parmesan cheese, and cherry tomato blended with spaghetti squash. We each heated ours up a bit with Frank's RedHot and enjoyed a thoroughly delicious and deeply satisfying dinner.

I think we'll be ready to get back to the list on Thursday!

No comments: