Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 10/23/17: Notebooks and Changes, Mowing, Taking Notebooks Uptown

1. Moving to a new place with a different cost of living and figuring out retirement income takes some time and figuring out what changes we want to make in the house in the short term all required the Deke and me to spend some time with spiral notebooks and pens, writing down numbers and lists. We've moved from sorting out Mom's belonging to sorting out our new life.

2. I hadn't run Mom's lawn mower for a few years because Paul and Cosette had taken over the mowing duties. Well, this afternoon, on this clear, fresh, bracing  gold and vermillion autumn day, I decided to see if I could run the machine and mow our too long neglected lawn. I figured out how the grass catcher comes off and on. I figured out how to prime the engine. I knew how to pull the cord to start the mower and, after a few tugs, the mower came alive and I spent the next hour or so mowing rectangles in the back and front lawns. It turned out to be quite a workout for me and, when I finished, I ate a bowl or two of the delicious improvised rice salad the Deke made and lay down with the book, Facing Ali. I finished the book and my reward for mowing the lawn was a welcome and restful nap.

3. At first I didn't think I wanted to join the Deke uptown in advance of her Monday night Beer Ed class at Radio Brewing, but I thought how fun it would be to sit at a table with our spiral notebooks and continue our conversation about our living situation and finances and the near future. So we went uptown about an hour before the Deke's class started and continued to map things out, made some decisions, left some things on the table, and enjoyed a snack of smoked salmon flat bread.

No comments: