Thursday, October 19, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 10/18/17: Morning Business, Fun in CdA, Double D Pils with a Taco and Soup

1. I buckled down again this morning and took care of more business related to Mom's estate. I called the Woman's Life to make sure I had everything in order to make a claim on the policy Mom held and learned I had one more form to complete.  I'm glad I called.

I went to Wells Fargo where Mom banked and with the help of Cynthia, closed her accounts and set up an estate account.

I had a couple or three questions for Attorney Mike Peacock and took a break from my work with Cynthia to talk with him and I think I understand how the process toward settling things and how dispersing Mom's assets works.

Being the executor -- or personal representative -- of Mom's estate is a solemn responsibility and I am doing my best to make sure I do right by Christy and Carol as we work together to figure things out.

2.  By 11:00, I had completed this morning's business and so the Deke and I slowly but surely got ourselves ready to go to Coeur d'Alene to have a little fun. We were going to take care of some business there, but since we got off to a late start, we limited our activities to poking around in a couple of thrift stores and an antique shop -- we came up empty, by the way --, a walkthrough at Pilgrim's Market so the Deke could get a sense of the place and we could buy a few things, and doing a little shopping at Fred Meyer.  In a moment of spontaneity, the Deke dropped in at Bear Paw Quilting to buy what she needs to sew some placemats. We had fun taking our time, letting the spirit move us as to what we'd do next, and relaxing at these different stores.

3. We fully relaxed at Daft Badger. I ordered a short pour of the Double D Pilsner, named after and brewed in memory of Daft Badger co-founder Darrell Dlouhy's recently deceased brother Duane. It's a great beer. On the one hand, it pays homage to Duane's love of Coors Light by being light in alcohol volume and bitterness, but it deftly departs from Coors Light by being a much more complex and full flavored beer. For me, it was the perfect beer to drink with the very tasty order of spicy beef tacos the Deke and I split and the bracing cup of chicken tortilla soup I ordered as a side. 

No comments: