Monday, October 16, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 10/15/17: We Can Print!, Family Dinner, Paul and the Deke Play the Guitar

1. This morning I took our new printer out of the box. I prepared our two old HP laptops to have the software downloaded on them. Then, for the next six hours or so, I fiddled around trying to get each computer to work with the printer. After much trial and error and without really understanding what had gone wrong when the two computer and device wouldn't work together, I succeeded. We are back to having printing capability in our home, along with copying -- next up, I'll work to figure out how the scanning function works and nail that down. By the way, the trouble I had today perplexed me: I have connected several printers and computers in our home over the last ten or eleven years and never had a problem until today.

2. Carol, Paul, Everett, Christy, the Deke, and I are going to have regular family dinners on Sundays -- we won't do it every Sunday, but we will get together often.  The Deke and I hosted dinner tonight and we put our collective skills to work to create a pretty solid dinner. I seared chicken thighs, took them out of the cast iron pans, and put chicken broth, water, and jasmine rice in the pans and brought the liquid to a boil. I then put the chicken back on top of the rice and liquid, covered the pans, and let the rice and chicken cook together. When they were done, I took the chicken back out again and mixed black beans with the rice and topped it with cilantro. I had fresh squeezed lime juice ready to mix in the rice, also, but I forgot to include it. It was one of those days -- so, now, I'm eager to make this One-Pan Chicken Thighs with Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Rice again -- and I'm curious how it will taste with the lime actually included!  Curious?  You can find the recipe by clicking right here.

The Deke roasted Brussel sprouts and a medley of baby carrots perfectly -- without a recipe!

3. We settled into the living room for some conversation after dinner. We are having another moving day this coming Saturday when Carol and Paul, with help, will transport more of Mom's belongings to their house, opening the way for the Deke and me to buy our own bed and set it up.  The Deke and Paul got to talking about playing the guitar. Paul is pretty much self-taught and so is the Deke.  She got out her guitar and showed him some techniques he might consider giving a whirl. I think it's very possible that they will get together from time to time and continue to build on their guitar skills.

A footnote:  The Deke has had out her guitar and played and sung more music since we moved to Kellogg nearly three weeks ago than she did the whole three years we lived in Alexandria and Greenbelt.  Retirement is treating the Deke well.

No comments: