Friday, October 20, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 10/19/17: Surprise Visit to the Dentist's Office, More Papers, Guys on the Road

1. Around 8:00, I was just getting ready to dive back into tasks when my phone rang. Kathy down at Bird Family Dental had a cancellation and so a spot opened up for me. I got myself organized and walked a block down Cameron Avenue and before I knew it, Kathy was x-raying my teeth and polishing and cleaning them.  When I lived in Maryland, twice I was in Kellogg when I needed my six month check up and saw Kathy. I am very happy that Kathy will be my regular hygienist now. Not only is she someone I've known for many years, but she's the best hygienist to ever treat my teeth. She's calm, personable, thorough, meticulous, unhurried, attentive, knowledgeable, and straight forward about any problems she sees and talks about them in a frank and even manner.

2. While Kathy was treating me, my cell phone rang. Debbie from Attorney Mike Peacock's office called to find out if I had the warranty deed for Mom and Dad's house. Well, it just so happened as I was spending those several days sorting through Mom's papers that I came across it and, for once, I was smart enough to do the right thing and not to put it in the shred pile. I kept it out, figuring it might be of help when it came time to transfer ownership of the house. I also knew, and this is the real miracle, right where I'd put it, so, when I returned home, I dug out the warranty deed -- marveled at the fact that it is fifty-five years old --, filled out the inventory of Mom's assets, and delivered them to Mike Peacock's office.  Waiting for me at his office was a letter to the Shoshone County Sheriff, telling the office that the Deke and I live in this house and that a transaction is underway for us to buy it. This letter will allow us to prove our residency when we go to secure an Idaho driver's license.

3. The Deke went on a series of errands to Osburn and Kellogg. One task was to mail the papers needed for my sisters and me to make a claim on a small life insurance policy Mom held for sixty-one years. Getting the forms and death certificates and everything in order for this task wasn't a huge deal, but an unfamiliar one.  Thankfully, I called the company the other day to make sure I had the papers we needed in order and learned that I had been missing one form. I filled it out. The Deke served as the disinterested person confirming that all was in order and now the papers are off to Michigan.

These tasks involving paperwork always take a lot out of me and I assumed the prone position for a couple of hours on the couch this afternoon -- I'd also been up since 4:15 a.m -- and napped and rested.

The Deke and I marked the end of another day of making progress by going to Radio Brewing for some late afternoon beers and I enjoyed yakking a little with some guys in their twenties or so from Pennsylvania and Ohio who were on a road trip across the country -- possibly they were looking for America (I forgot to ask them). One of them had the last name of Kellogg, so they decided they had to stop, come uptown, and check out this little brewery in this small town.

Radio Brewing blew them away: they were awed by what a great environment Ashley and Fred have created in the building and they loved the beer. 

The Deke roasted us a couple of chicken thighs with chopped baby potatoes and cubed squash for dinner. It was perfect.  I, then, turned in early, around 8:00, satisfied with the day, looking forward to getting more accomplished on Friday.

No comments: