Sunday, October 15, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 10/14/17: Errands and Daft Badger, Tales at Radio Brewing, Chocolate and Cheese Party

1.  The Deke and I hopped into the Sube and struck out for an afternoon of errands in CdA. Mom's papers are securely locked in a bin ready to be picked up and shredded. A picture we love is being framed. We bought the goods for tonight's party at our house and for family dinner tomorrow night. We capped off our running around by splitting a chicken with mango salsa sandwich on a brioche bun and each having a cup of deep and rich goulash soup at the Daft Badger. This food was superb. I'd never tried Daft Badger's Hoppypotamus Pale Ale, so I had a couple short pours and I enjoyed what an expertly balanced beer it is. The payoff for me was in the slight sweetness -- the brewery's web page tells me it's a caramel undertone -- that complements the beer's pleasant hoppiness.  The Deke was very happy with her Fresh Hopped IPA.  I tasted it and agreed: great stuff.

2. Back in Kellogg, we made a quick stop at Radio Brewing and had a quick blast of fun and great conversation. We talked more with my Orofino cousin Lura's former neighbor, Sara.  Meredith told us the adventurous tale of how she and her family uprooted themselves from Maupin, OR and went on the road in search of employment and a new place to live and landed in Kellogg where her husband is the chef at Radio Brewing.  Meredith manages the tap room. Two of the Deke's new friends from the beer class she attends strolled in and so did Ashley, who owns the joint with her husband, and that meant more fun conversation.

3. Back home, I set up our party for Christy, Everett, the Deke, and me. I bought and broke up four bars of Moonstruck Chocolate at Fred Meyer along with a bottle of port wine, small blocks of Chocolate Stout Cheddar and Oregon Blue Cheese, both from Rogue Brewing's creamery and a small block of Long Clawson Wensleydale with Cranberry; I set out a gala apple sliced; I plated crackers, pepper crackers and Effie's Homemade Corncakes,  delicious cornbread crackers with a hint of anise. I've never set up a chocolate/cheese and port wine tasting before so I don't know if this combination of things might seem clumsy to those who know what they are doing, but for the four of us it was all fun and tasty. We sat around the kitchen table and yakked and had a fun time with the variety of flavors. Next time, maybe I'll read up a bit on this sort of thing and see what it's like if I half way know what I'm doing!

No comments: