Monday, October 23, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 10/22/17: Hauling, Reward Nap, Family Dinner

1. On Saturday, I cleared out the storage closets. Christy and Carol sorted the items. Today, I took them out of the house. I made several trips up and down the stairs, more trips out to the garage, and, three times, I loaded up the Sube and went to St. Vincent dePaul's in Osburn twice and made one trip to the county dump. Now the upstairs is cleared out. The main floor is cleared out -- and, if not 100%, it's very close. I know I have a few odds and ends to take care of in the basement. The last project will be to sort out and move on Mom's different items in the back yard and the front. We started on this project in the summer, but we still have some things to make decisions about.

Slow and steady. We are gettin' there.

2. This afternoon, all this work caught up to me. The Deke and I shared a plate of saltine crackers, salami, sharp Vermont cheese, Oregon blue cheese, pickles, pepperoncinis, and Kalamata olives. Then I changed into my nightwear and collapsed into bed. My legs were rubbery from all the trips up and down the stairs and all the hauling of boxes, rugs, pillows, medical supplies and other things out to the garage and then to the Sube. I fell into a deep and hungry sleep, a satisfying sleep, a reward for getting a lot of good work done.

3. Tonight Carol hosted our Sunday family dinner. She fixed boneless and bone in baby back ribs with two different sauces, a cabbage ramen salad, roasted root vegetables, and a gluten-free and white sugar-free apple honey upside down cake. We all loved this dinner and enjoyed lively conversation before dinner with a hot apple brandy drink and the good yakkin' continued as we ate. After dinner, the Deke gave Paul another quick guitar lesson -- I'm starting to wonder if these lessons will be an ongoing part of our dinners on occasional Sunday nights. We'll see. The Deke is a superb teacher, by the way.

No comments: