Monday, December 4, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 12/03/17: Kindness and Gratitude, Nothing, Family Dinner

1. Because I've been thinking about the accident I had at the Zinc Plant, I've also been thinking about gratitude and about how I experience others' kindness. I know that kindness works even if it isn't completely selfless, even if the person extending the kindness is doing it, in part, for herself or himself. I have heard this or that person say they did something good because it felt good. I know others did this or that good thing, in part, because they didn't want to lose a friendship or some other kind of relationship -- or they wanted to be liked by the person they were helping out. I don't find these these added reasons for being kind to another to be selfish nor do I think they take anything away from the experience of receiving kindness. Pure selflessness is a lot to ask of ourselves or of others. In the moment, while being comforted or nursed in some way, the relief and succor I've experienced when in need transcended whether the person being kind was not only helping me out, but being kind for other reasons having to do with themselves, as well. My gratitude abides.

I don't know that my thoughts here are reflected in Naomi Shihab Nye's poem, "Kindness", but the poem popped in my mind. If you like to read it, just click here.

2.  The Deke went to Radio Brewing this afternoon to knit. I stayed home and slept and did nothing. It was just what I needed.

3. Tonight we enjoyed family dinner at Carol and Paul's house. Through a friend, Carol got her hands on Astrid's recipe for making turkey broth that takes about five days in a slow cooker. The result was a dark, almost beefy broth. It was the most substantial turkey soup broth I've ever tasted. Carol also tried making noodles for the first time and they were thick and chewy, almost like having dumplings in the soup. I loved them. She also baked loaves of delicious honey oat bread. Before dinner, Carol and Paul served us all hot buttered brandy and I preferred this drink to the hot buttered rums I've had in the past. Needless to say, we had a great meal.

No comments: