Friday, December 8, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 12/07/17: Raingutters, Paperwork, Memorial

1.  This morning, Nick from Jimbo's Seamless Raingutters arrived and soon he was making gutters out of the back of a company truck, cutting them to size, and hanging them around the front and back of the roof. An ice floe destroyed the gutters on the north side of the house last winter -- Nick told me this happened on the north sides of houses all over North Idaho -- and I am happy to have new gutters in their place and new ones replace the ones in front that were well over twenty years old.

2. I worked again today on household paperwork and finances and figured out where the Deke and I stand these days and what we might be looking at in the future. I also compiled medical records for my new nephrologist, a month ahead of my appointment with her. Friday, I'll continue getting paperwork stuff figured out with a trip to the county courthouse. Slowly, surely we are nearing the completion of our transition from Maryland to Idaho.

3. Shoshone Funeral Services held a memorial service this evening to remember and rejoice in the lives of those who have died over the last year and beyond. It gave those of us who have lost a loved one an opportunity to join with others who are in mourning, to listen to some thoughtful words from Rev. Ken Bartel, light candles together, listen to Carol and Paul beautifully sing two lovely songs, and to take in other inspirational readings. Christy and I arrived at about the same time and sat at one table and we visited with Carol and Paul afterward.

For me, the service helped me experience living in Kellogg in a deeper and even more appreciative way. The room was full of Kellogg people, some familiar, many not, and everything about the service helped me remember that there are certain ways things are done in Kellogg and this service was a solid and uplifting Kellogg event through and through.

I thought a lot about how thoroughly Mom was a Kellogg person, how she knew so many people, and how much she relied on Kellogg people for everything from friendship to retail services to medical care to help in maintaining her house and yard. For many years, as a visitor to Kellogg, I've felt a part of this town because of my many friends, but like an outsider because I just wasn't here day to day. This evening I felt like I was really back in Kellogg, really living here, really a part of our town and so much of what I experienced was made possible by Mom's love of this place and her life here. I accepted Rev. Bartel's invitation to remember Mom's life and rejoice in it in my own quiet and introspective way.

No comments: