Thursday, December 7, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 12/06/17: Bloodwork and Self-Examination, Paperwork, Dental Visits and Dinner

1. I got lab results back today and was relieved that while my kidney function, as always, places me in Stage IV of kidney disease, my function is essentially the same as it has been over the last few years. I see an Idaho nephrologist in January. My hope is that she will be as pleased with the stability I've maintained over the last few years as Dr. Malik in Bethesda was.

I've had a lot to get in order since coming to Kellogg in June and moving here in late September. Piece by piece I'm working to return to a routine in my life similar to the one that served me so well in Greenbelt. It will help when we have our kitchen back in a couple of weeks. (Today a man came to the house and created the template for our counters.) That will help me return to a cooking and eating routine I'll be happier with.

The one piece of my life I haven't recovered is doing regular exercise. I very much miss having the Greenbelt Aquatic Center just ten minutes away. I miss buzzing down there on Mondays for the aerobics class I took. I just haven't, yet, been up to the pool in Mullan (it's nearly 20 miles away). I hope the Deke and I will soon start exercising at the excellent Wellness Center in Smelterville. Slowly, we are getting our life in order -- the move to Kellogg and all that it has entailed has been disruptive -- not a major disruption or one to complain about -- but a disruption all the same -- and over the next month or so, things should settle down and that will be good for my health.

2, Moving to Kellogg and settling Mom's estate has involved paperwork. I've been keeping the papers in a basket and that basket, over the last couple of months, had become unruly and disorganized. Today, I dove into the basket, filed and refiled papers and started the process of getting a grip on our new financial life in Kellogg in a different house in a different town and both retired. The picture is not clear just yet, but it's not as fuzzy as it was when this day began.

3. Both Christy and the Deke had very demanding dental work done this afternoon at about the same time. Christy came over to our house to check up on how the Deke's day went. Both of their mouths were swollen thanks to the doses of anesthetic they both needed and both of them were worn out after long sessions in the dentist's chair. They commiserated for a while and talked about other things and, after a while, the three of us went out to eat.

Before going to the Hill St. Depot, we looked at the changes Christy has made in her kitchen -- new range, new refrigerator, smart rearrangement of things, some other new appliances, new shelves, and other improvements.

Then we savored Hill St. Depot's version of the Dark and Stormy cocktail and we each enjoyed an excellent dinner. I ordered the North Idaho Cheese Steak and seasoned each bite different hot sauces from their superb collection. It was a delicious way to enjoy this sandwich and a lot of fun, too.

No comments: