Thursday, December 14, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 12/13/17: Lunch at the Depot, Hospice Bereavement Service, Chuck Roast Family Dinner

1. Workers were back in the house today doing touch up work, installing our ceiling fan in the living room, and completing other tasks. The countertops and appliances come in on December 19th. The project should be pretty close to being done at that point -- maybe it will be done! It was a little noisy today and some work required the electricity to be off, so the Deke and I sashayed over to the Hill Street Depot for a light lunch and for some serious hanging out time. I enjoyed a bowl of taco chili. It warmed me up and tasted really good and paired well with the glass of Pepsi I drank. We had fun talking to each other and yakked it up with our servers, too.

2. Hospice of North Idaho put on a candlelight bereavement service at 5:30 at the church across the street and Christy, Carol, Paul, and I attended. I was moved and had good memories come back when I saw Andrea and Liz, Mom's hospice nurse and CNA. I relived good memories of talking with Andrea and Liz. They were a great help in explaining what was happening with Mom, especially as she was actively dying, and advocated on Mom's behalf to help make her last days as comfortable and free of pain as possible. Their honesty, knowledge, and care for Mom comforted me back in August and, during the service, I experienced grief in the form of gratitude for all Andrea and Liz did and gratitude that Mom could leave us in such a dignified way, in the company of her children and under attentive medical care.  After the service, I lingered in the sanctuary until the church was almost empty, with my lit candle, remembering Mom's last days and hours, thankful that my sisters and I live such lives that we, with the support of our spouses, could be with Mom almost every hour of the day and thankful for all that Hospice of North Idaho did to help Mom and the rest of us at that time and afterward.

3.  After the service, we had a family dinner at Christy and Everett's house. Christy prepared such a delicious and juicy chuck roast in the crock pot that I swear I could have eaten the whole thing myself had I been on my own! We also had egg noodles with gravy and Christy set out a plate of pickled asparagus and olives. It's been a very busy time at Christy and Everett's house as the work to upgrade Christy's backyard shed continues apace and I enjoyed slipping out back to see how handsome it looks. I look forward to seeing how Christy will furnish the shed and how she'll use it as a place of solitude and of hosting different kinds of get togethers.

No comments: