Saturday, December 30, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 12/29/17: Snowpocalypse, Slushageddon, *Uncivil* Podcast

1. The Siberian snowpocalypse continued today and the Deke and I decided to stay put and cooperate with requests from the Sheriff's Office and others that we stay off the roads. We watched the snow pile up in our yards and marveled at mammoth lips of snow groaning over the edge of our roof, white awning with saber-toothed icicles. In the morning, I decided that since we weren't going anywhere, I'd stock my Three Beautiful Things with links to podcasts in case anyone reading my blog would like to check out some good programs. I also took care of some home and medical business and did some organizing in anticipation of one day converting the front bedroom into our home office.

2. In the early afternoon, the snow turned to rain and ushered in a local slushageddon. The Deke sloshed over to Yoke's and picked up some groceries. She also dropped into Furniture Exchange and had the good fortune of spotting a chair that is perfect for our living room. Later, I plowed over to Furniture Exchange in the Sube and paid for the chair -- it will be delivered on Saturday -- and drove uptown to the clinic and finally dropped off the stack of my medical records I organized a couple of weeks ago.

3. While the Deke watched a crime show in French on her Chromebook, I put on earbuds and listened to the latest episode of the podcast Uncivil, an project helmed by two journalists, Jack Hitt and Chenjari Kumanyika, in which they excavate into untold stories of the United States' Civil War. I listened twice to the same episode this afternoon as Hitt and Kumanyika interviewed guests and dug into documents of the Civil War to report on slaves serving their masters in the Confederate Army, with special emphasis on a famous photograph of a slave, Silas Chandler, and his master, Andrew Chandler.  You can listen to this episode by clicking right here and finding it in the list of past episodes.

The Deke and I capped off our day by slip slidin' next door to visit Christy and Everett and to enjoy another slice of the heavenly cinnamon cake Christy baked for my birthday -- and there's still some left!

No comments: