Sunday, December 10, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 12/09/17: With Ed at the Bean, Lazy Day, Awesome Family Dinner

1. I was up and at it this morning, getting my morning routine underway, when Ed texted me that he was down the street at Silver Valley Tires getting the oil changed in the Camry. I responded that we should go out for coffee and that's what we did, over at the Bean on Railroad Avenue. This was Ed's first trip to the Bean. He enjoyed it a lot and we had a good session yakkin' it up -- a fine way to get the day underway.

2. The Deke went to CdA on a knitting and craft outing for the day and I took advantage of having the house to myself by doing just about nothing all day long: I didn't pay bills, I didn't figure out finances, I didn't call an insurance company, I didn't deal with Mom's estate, and I didn't even go up to the Inland Lounge. I stayed home and napped and messed around on the computer and read articles and took it very easy.

3. At six, though, Paul, Carol, the Deke, and I got together at Christy and Everett's house for family dinner. As we walked in the door, Christy handed each of us a cocktail made with gin, pomegranate juice, lime, and mint. In color, it was a Christmas-y cocktail and I was exercising great restraint when I only consumed one.  I hope this drink returns to the family dinner rota one day.

Christy also prepared a wonderful meal: pork tenderloin, Vermont cheese potatoes, applesauce, relish, stuffed celery, and whole wheat seeded baguette with pretzel buttons for dessert. It was a delicious meal and we sat around and yakked about a bunch of different things. When it was time to go home, Paul and Carol came over to our house for a few minutes so Paul could see how our remodeling project has progressed. It was a good evening for our family and next week, since we won't quite have a kitchen yet, the Deke and I will prepare a family dinner at Carol's house.

No comments: