Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 12/05/17: Records, Warming Snack, Zags and Elk Meatloaf

1. Being on the kidney transplant list means tests, tests, tests. It all came back to me today as I printed out results: kidney ultrasound, echo stress tests, echocardiograms, chest x-rays, chest CT scan, blood work, TB skin tests, and so on -- but now I've printed the results, filed them, and created a stack for my new primary care provider. I also made an appointment to see a nephrologist who comes to Kellogg from CdA. I think she, too, will want to see these records, so I'll duplicate them. It was all a lot easier when I lived in Greenbelt and I was established with my doctors. This process of getting re-established and, possibly, getting enrolled at a new transplant center out west is tedious, but, like so many tedious things, necessary. I just hope the function of my kidneys remains stable.

2. The Deke and I got out of the house this afternoon and went to Radio Brewing for a snack. I had a bowl of piping hot and spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup. I loved it, especially served with garlic parmesan bread. It's been chilly in Kellogg and this soup, along with a short pour of Oatmeal Stout, warmed me. I was also inspired to stroll down Main Street to the bank and took care of a little business with a little more to come tomorrow.

3. I was apprehensive about the Zags playing Villanova in Madison Square Garden.  As Byrdman pointed out to me, it was their first game without a local crowd to support them and they were playing one of the nation's premier programs. Villanova is a perennial high seed in the NCAA tournament each March and two years ago they won the whole thing. Villanova is expertly coached. This year their team is experienced, physical, and versatile -- they can score inside and beyond the arc and they can run a blistering fast break, especially off of steals and other disruptions caused by their tough defense.

It's not like the Zags are patsies, but they are a less experienced team and not nearly as physical as Villanova.

When I strolled into Christy and Everett's living room shortly after 4 p.m., the Zags held a 7-2 lead.

Wow! I thought. Maybe the Zags will give the Wildcats a good go.

They didn't, really. Before long, the Zags were in foul trouble, were plagued by numerous turnovers, often confused by Villanova's defense, and unable to get into any kind of an offensive rhythm. In contrast, Villanova's offensive rhythm would have pleased George Gershwin.

We watched the Zags fall to Villanova 88-72.

Then we comforted ourselves with the dinner Christy prepared: she cooked a rich, flavor-packed ground elk meatloaf served with baby potatoes and a crisp fresh salad.

Sinking deep into the pleasure of eating this meal helped ease the pain of seeing the Zags lose so badly to Villanova.

Do teams, like Gonzaga, who lost several key players from a year ago and are working to find themselves in the early stage of this season, learn a lot from losing to a polished team like Villanova?

I don't know for sure.

But playing Villanova has to have helped them learn more about themselves and what they need to improve upon if they want to be a top tier team -- more than, say, their game last Wednesday against the Cardinals of the University of the Incarnate Word.

No comments: