Saturday, December 16, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 12/15/17: Late for Breakfast, Snow Falling Fast, Pizza in the Shed

1. Friday morning breakfast at Sam's is at six o'clock and that was exactly what time I woke up. I hustled into my clothes and dashed in the Sube down the street where Jerry, Ed, and Scott B. were deep into a lot of storytelling and yakking. I braced myself for what I knew was coming: I was going to get picked on. "What happened? Your car spin out drivin' three blocks down here?" Etc. Soon, however, my time in the crucible was over and I joined in the Friday morning banter and enjoyed my hashbrowns, eggs, and English muffin breakfast.

2. As the day progressed, snow blanketed the Silver Valley. I had no desire to go out in it and spent much of the day trying to get my paper life a little more organized. I made a focused effort to find our Android tablet and, after a couple of hours, succeeded. I got an envelope containing all that was spoken at Mom's Celebration of Life ready to mail to one of Mom's dearest friends from her childhood. I still have other correspondence to catch up on. I'm not miles behind on things, but I have to admit, our house being under construction and disarray heightens the feeling that I am miles behind and not well organized. I'll keep working to relieve myself of this feeling.

3. During the day, Christy and Everett worked on sprucing up Christy's shed. They hung things on the walls, put up Christmas lights, put in some greenery, and arranged the furniture. Christy invited the Deke and me over for some appetizers and after a while we had a pizza delivered and we dove into it. The shed is warm, comfortable, and relaxing. With the snow falling and night falling (fast oh fast), I thought a hot drink would be satisfying and I went in Christy and Everett's house and mixed myself a Captain Morgan with hot water and topped it off with a dab of butter. In the bleak dark and cold of winter, especially here in the Silver Valley, I find some booze and boiling water very satisfying.

When I wrote "snow falling and night falling (fast oh fast)", you probably recognized this line as the opening of Robert Frost's poem "Desert Places". The poem was on my mind all day today and if you'd like to read it, just click here.

No comments: