Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 03/06/18: The Wonder of Ice, CdA Excursion, We Love Jerry Douglas

1.  Whatever this problem is that recurs from time to time with my ankle -- well, it flared up again and I hobbled when I got up this morning. Almost immediately, I put on a sock, stuffed an ice pack down the sock, and, instead of wearing slippers, put on my everyday shoes with the double insole support I've stuffed inside them. All of this worked. By early afternoon, the pain was gone and my ankle was back to being strong enough to support me as I walked. It's a little bit weak, but I can get around fine.

2. The Deke and I took advantage of the mild weather and piled in the Sube and headed to CdA for a small shopping trip. The Deke bought some buttons at the quilt shop and I hung out in Fred Meyer where I picked up a slotted spoon, a black and a gray T-shirt, and new pajama bottoms. The Deke purchased a few clothing items and then we were off to Pilgrim's Market. We bought some meat with the future in mind: salmon fillet, cod, elk patties, pork chops, a couple small sirloin steaks, a pork loin roast, and some chicken thighs. I have a curry fish soup in mind that I'd like to try making with some of the crab stock I made a while back and bought some lemongrass and cilantro for that.

I caught myself longing to be back in Greenbelt again -- no, that's not quite right. I found myself having sweet memories of the trips I took from Greenbelt over to MOM's Organic Market in College Park. Pilgrim's Market brought back the memories of shopping at MOM's -- along with many memories that stretch back to 1984 and forward of shopping at the Kiva and the Frontier Market and the Red Barn in Eugene. I didn't long to be back at these stores so much as I felt happy that just by driving a little over a half an hour, we can shop here at Pilgrim's Market in CdA and not only buy products we enjoy, but indulge the olfactory pleasures these stores give me.

3. I'd had the KEWU station on the Echo Dot all day. It's an eclectic jazz station I enjoy a lot. At one point the station played some pretty hard core tenor saxophone be-bop. I didn't catch who was playing, but the Deke requested a change in the music, something easier to listen to. We promptly agreed on the Jerry Douglas station on Pandora and heard one superb piece of music, most of it instrumental, after another, not only by Jerry Douglas, but Tony Rice, Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer, Mike Marshall, Doc Watson and a scintillating variety of other players.

No comments: