Saturday, March 31, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 03/30/18: Ed's in Boise, Midway Tavern, Dropping in at The Lounge

1. I was already up for the third or fourth time feeding the corgis (!) when Ed called at 5:30 a.m. It was his turn to buy breakfast this morning at Sam's.  Somehow he arranged with the pilot or with a tech guy or someone for a computer glitch to delay his flight from San Diego Thursday night a couple of hours or so which led to a missed connection.  He called me from the Boise airport, heartbroken, to let me know that he wouldn't be at breakfast and that he would miss his turn to buy. I thought to myself that he went to a lot of trouble just to get out of ponying up this morning, but we'll get him back next week -- and, I was relieved later in the day when he called to tell me that he and Nancy made it home safely around 9:00 this morning.

2. I cleaned up the kitchen and tidied up the rest of the house this afternoon before heading up to the venerable Midway Tavern in Osburn to meet up with the crew of Wallace people who meet every Friday afternoon at a different Silver Valley bar to have a couple of beers, shoot the breeze, and get in some good laughs. I went up to the bar and ordered a can of Mountain Fresh Rainier and didn't realize that at this time of day on Fridays, at least, a can beer only cost a buck. I couldn't remember the last time I only paid a buck for a beer. I joined Rob and JoAnn at their table and had a great time looking back at times long gone by in the Silver Valley and remembering people we all knew in common. One fact came up that I had totally forgotten: for a time, the little grocery store next to the Trail Motel was owned by Mike Williams and was called Wee Willie's.

3. After an hour and a half or more at the Midway, I headed back to Kellogg and dropped in at the Inland Lounge to see who was hanging out there and to see how Cas was doing. I didn't stay long, but enjoyed some yakkin' with Cas and Doug Yrjana and shared a hearty handshake with Ed Miller, freshly returned from Arizona, and I talked some NCAA hoops with Becky who was in with a bunch of people from Radio Brewing.  I left after one beer. I was hungry. I needed to pick up a few things at Yoke's. On my way out the door, Julie Crnkovich told me about her upcoming trip to Vegas and Palm Springs. Knowing she's got a fun trip ahead of her made me very happy. I arrived home, cooked up a simple dinner, and was ready to go to bed and enter back into corgi night world. 

No comments: