Friday, March 23, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 03/22/18: Sleep, Turkey Soup, A Sock

1. The dogs' demands through the night, in combination with pain I'm having in my left foot -- gout? --, kept me up much of the night and at 4:30 a.m., I decided not to go back to bed and got my day underway. Later in the day, the pain in my foot settled down a little bit and the dogs left me alone, and I took a couple of long and satisfying naps.

2. I had thawed three turkey drumsticks and today I browned each of them for about twenty minutes in the Dutch oven and removed them. I sliced an onion, put the drumsticks on top of the slices, and poured chicken and beef stock I had made. After bringing the stock to a boil, I covered the Dutch oven and let the drumsticks braise at a low heat for nearly three hours. I took the drumsticks out, took the meat off of them, put the bones in a ziplock bag, put the meat in the stock, and added chopped celery, broccoli, and carrots and the result was a rich and flavorful turkey soup.

3. By the time the Zags' game rolled around, I was wiped out by the pain in my foot and my sleep patterns being disrupted. I didn't go over to Christy and Everett's to watch the game, but, instead, went to bed at about halftime. Sometime later, I wondered if my left foot would be more comfortable if I wore a sock in bed -- and it was. I slept more comfortably.

No comments: