Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 03/19/18: Lost and Found, Remembering the 1972 Final Four, Simple Salmon Dinner

1.  Over the course of our marriage, the Deke and I have discovered that if something is missing, it's always wise to check the garbage. I cannot tell you how many times this approach has succeeded for finding Molly's burn medicine, a checkbook, keys, and other items I've long since forgotten. Today, the Deke had a prescription filled at Yoke's. She was looking for it while she packed to leave for Baltimore on Tuesday morning. She told me it was in a small white bag. I felt a twinge of guilt. When clearing off the kitchen table earlier, hmmmm, had I thrown away a small white bag? I took the garbage container out from under the sink, and PRESTO!. With a minimal amount of excavating, I found a small white bag.  In it? The bottle of pills.

2. I was in peak love with the NCAA men's basketball tournament from about 1966-1985.  Today, I was thinking about Florida State University. Gonzaga's men's basketball team plays Florida State University on Thursday night in this year's NCAA tournament. I thought back to March 25, 1972, when Terry Turner and I watched Florida State play UCLA for the NCAA championship at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena. On March 23rd, we saw UCLA defeat Louisville and Florida State beat North Carolina. The Florida State team deeply impressed me. They were muscular, physical, quick, sharp-shooting, and tough enough to beat a North Carolina squad led by future ABA/NBA players George Karl, Bob McAdoo, and Bobby Jones. Today, I went to YouTube and found highlights of the 1972 Final Four and, once again, marveled at Florida State's Ron King, Rowland Garrett, Lawrence McCray, Reggie Royals, Greg Samuel, Otto Petty, and Ron Harris. I'm hoping some of you reading this remember this team. It took a mighty effort by Bill Walton, Henry Bibby, Keith Wilkes and the rest of the Bruins to defeat this impressive and largely unheralded Florida State squad. Being on hand for this Final Four remains one of the high points of my whole life.

Want to check out the YouTube highlights? Go here, here, and here.

3.  I sashayed over to Yoke's this afternoon and fulfilled a request the Deke made. For dinner tonight, she wanted salmon and I found a perfect eight oz fillet that we could split. I fixed it on the gas range's grill and along with it we had leftover cabbage salad and avocado slices. Over the next four weeks, I'll fix a lot of these simple dinners for myself and I'll experiment with some cooking approaches while the Deke is back east, but it's always more fun to have these little dinners with her.

No comments: