Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 03/12/18: Haircut Yakkin', CdA Bookstores, Small Cuts of Meat

1.  I left some business unfinished when I departed from CdA on Saturday. So, on this robin egg blue day, I returned. I needed a haircut in the worst way and when I strolled into Supercuts, a guy named Bill was getting his hair cut and he made me laugh as he gave me a really bad time about how much I needed a haircut -- and a comb. When it was my turn, I once again entrusted my shaggy mop to Robin, a longtime resident of Pinehurst who cut my hair last time I was in (when? it seems like about a year ago!). Robin told me about when she lived in Alexandria years ago and how glad she was to be back in North Idaho. I'm glad to be back in North Idaho, too, but admitted that I enjoyed the two months the Deke and I spent living with Molly and Hiram and their children in Alexandria, although for the life of me I couldn't remember any place names -- that we lived in Groveton, near Huntley Meadows Park, not far from Huntington station. It's weird how all those place names disappeared from my memory until I returned home and looked them all up. It was a fun conversation and my hair looks tons better.

2. I wondered if I might find a couple of books about Watergate by Elizabeth Drew and J. Anthony Lukas at Browsers Uncommon Books, a used book store on Government Way in CdA. I strolled up to the front of the store and the door was locked. Sadly, the proprietor is (or has been) in the hospital and it doesn't look like the store will reopen until the end of the week.

I was almost positive I would not find the books I'm looking for at the Well-Read Moose, but I went over to Video Village, er, I mean Riverstone Village to check out the bookstore. It's a handsome independent bookstore. It features a wine and coffee bar, comfortable seats scattered about, lots of notices of book clubs that meet there, and is stocked with new books, many of them recent publications. I hung out there for a while and slowly scanned several sections. I was correct. Neither book I wanted was in stock.

3.  I only wanted three items at Costco, bought those, and then went to Pilgrim's and, along with some produce, bought meat to bring home and freeze. I bought turkey drumsticks, a whole chicken, some tiny sirloin steaks, and a pound of grass fed ground beef. For the Deke and me, the tiny cuts of meat, like sirloin steak and pork chops, available at Pilgrim's, work perfectly for us. In fact, I had thawed a couple of tiny pork chops this morning and, when I returned to Kellogg, I seasoned them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and roasted a tray of zucchini, red pepper, Brussel sprouts, and carrots. The Deke returned from the Pinehurst Public Library's craft night shortly after eight and we enjoyed this light dinner together.

No comments: