Saturday, March 10, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 03/09/18: Supertramp and the Whitworth HUB, Early Steak Dinner, Happy at the Lounge

1. If I ever want feel like I'm back in the cafeteria area of the Whitworth College HUB -- the Student Union Building -- in the late 1970s or the early 1980s, when I worked two different times at Whitworth, all I have to do is say, "Alexa, play the album The Very Best of Supertramp." I swear, every time I walked in the HUB to see who was in the darkened recess of the smoking area or grabbed a quick burger or a Coke with a fellow employee, someone was playing Supertramp on the jukebox and a knot of people in the smoking area or in another part of the room enthusiastically sang along, belting out, "Right (right) you're bloody well right/You've got a bloody right to say."

The Deke went uptown to get her hair cut and ran a couple of other errands late this morning and I gave Alexa the magic command to play Supertramp. While I cleaned up the kitchen, I mind-traveled back to the HUB and sat in a booth. I could hear ping pong masters playing in the adjacent room. I listened to bits of conversation as people walked through. Around me people discussed the latest Core 250 lecture or mocked Amy Grant or prayed together as a Bible study got underway in a booth nearby or tried to make sense of the ending of The Pawnbroker, a Core 150 staple. In my mind, Supertramp provided the HUB soundtrack. Today I listened to Supertramp sing what could have been the Whitworth theme song: "Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned/I know it sounds absurd/Please tell me who I am."  (from "Logical Song", here.)  I enjoyed being back in the good old HUB cafeteria, yakkin' with friends, eating fried foods, and euphorically riding the Whitworth jetstream of self-examination and contemplating what it means to be a whole person.


2. The Deke and I decided to eat an early dinner before we went to the Inland Lounge and I warmed up leftover spaghetti squash and leftover beets and greens and I took out these two 4 oz sirloin steaks we bought at Pilgrim's. I fried two strips of bacon and when one side of each steak was done, I flipped them, and covered each steak with bleu cheese and the bacon -- an experiment that we both enjoyed. I liked having a midafternoon dinner/lunch and afterward we cleaned up the kitchen so we'd come home tonight to things being in pretty good order.

3. We had a fun late afternoon and early evening at the Inland Lounge. The Wallace bunch was back to celebrate Connie's birthday and eat Chinese food from Wah Hing next door. We had a great session with Julie, got in some first-rate yakkin' with Cas, and ended the night with Jake and Carol Lee, shootin' the breeze and greeting and talking to others who came in.  The Deke and I had a blast and jabbered to each other all the way home about how much fun we'd had.

No comments: