Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 03/13/18: The Pleasures of Charles Dickens, Dr. Jones Called Me, Elk Dinner

1. I like to read lying down. Always have. Today, I hungered to return to Great Expectations. I started reading Charles Dickens' story back in 2014 when the Deke and I lived in Alexandria with Molly and Hiram. During that time, I enjoyed taking the bus, the 161 Fairfax Connector, from Harrison Lane to the Huntington Metro Station and ride the train into Washington, D.C. to see a movie at West End Cinema or to visit art museums, or, on a few of my favorite days, ride the train all the way to Silver Spring to see a movie or two at the American Film Institute.

My travel companion was Pip, and while I glided on the Metro's Yellow Line train over the Potomac River or waited on the platform at Ft. Totten to transfer to the Red Line to Silver Spring, I absorbed myself in Pip's eerie visits to Miss Havisham's or joined him in his tutorials with Joe or worried about Pip as he encountered the next of several sketchy adults as he passed out of childhood into his formative years.

When we moved to Greenbelt, I got busy with all kinds of apartment and medical business and then I traveled to Kellogg in November, 2014 to help out with Mom, and Great Expectations fell off my radar. I picked it up again for a while in the last year, but, once again, got distracted from reading it.

Today, I returned to Pip's story. I secluded myself in our bedroom, enjoyed lying comfortably on our bed, and returned to 19th century rural Kent County, to the marshes, the fires of Joe's forge, the decay of Miss Havisham's house, and to my worry as to how Pip is going to make his way in the world.

I enjoyed Dickens' language, syntax, story telling, and reflections on Pip's circumstances more today than I ever had before. I might even see my way to the end of the novel this time around and not deny myself the pleasures of this book's rich detail, eccentric characters, and earnest central character, Pip.

2. Late this afternoon, I looked at the screen when my pocket computer rang and I didn't recognize the number, but it was from Idaho, and so I answered it. I am very grateful I did.

I am now under the care of nephrologist Dr. Kristie Jones. She ordered the blood work that preceded my visit to Linda Jo Yawn, N.P., last Thursday.

Dr. Kristie Jones called me today. She had just perused the report of my blood work and called to tell me what she thought.

You might remember that I was shaken last week when I read the report of my blood work because my kidney function had dropped from 19% to 17%.

This drop didn't concern Dr. Kristie Jones. Her perspective elated me. She regarded the 17% as a sign of continued stability and explained how this number will fluctuate and that I might have been a bit dehydrated the day I had my blood drawn or maybe my blood pressure was up that day.

In other words, she read the report that had upset me as good news and, like Linda Jo Yawn, was very impressed with all my other numbers, not related to the kidneys.

I see Dr. Jones again in June and she told me to keep taking good care of myself and we'll see how the numbers look then. She said she wouldn't be surprised if my kidney function number crept back up to 18 or 19 again.

Dr. Kristie Jones' call moved me. It's the first time a nephrologist has called to discuss a lab report with me. In fewer than three minutes, Dr. Jones listened to my concerns about the blood work, helped moderate my anxiety and straighten out my perspective, and boosted my morale as I do all I can, day to day, to take care of my damaged kidneys, maintain a positive outlook, and to pursue what brings vitality to my life.

Now, to be clear, last Thursday, Linda Jo Yawn got me on the right track mentally when she told me I was doing everything right and when she was unflustered by my lab report. My visit with her also boosted my morale. Today, I felt further strengthened and encouraged by Dr. Jones' call and our conversation. I'm uplifted, encouraged, and grateful.

3. The Deke took over the kitchen tonight and fried us each a delicious and slightly wild tasting ground elk patty and she fixed mashed cauliflower in the blender, a creamy and very flavorful side dish. We ate a balsamic vinegary salad with our dinner and both felt like the luckiest people alive to be enjoying such a simple and satisfying evening meal together.


No comments: