Monday, June 4, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 06/03/18: Chicken in the Crock Pot, Mother Nature and I Water the Lawn, Family Dinner

1. The Deke has a chicken soup in mind she'd like to fix -- all I know is that it's simple and elegant in its simplicity, unlike the loaded chicken soups or stews I often prepare. All day the chicken cooking in crock pot filled the house with a tantalizing smell of onion, garlic powder, celery, and chicken. By around 7:30 or so, I took the meat off the bones and put the broth in a huge bowl. The ingredients are ready for the Deke to transform them into a tasty soup.

2. Around 4:00 or so, unsure if it would rain this evening, I watered the entire back yard and front yard by hand to work the fertilizer into the ground. Ethan told me the fertilizer should sit for at least twenty-four hours, so I waited and then worked it in. Then, around 7:30 or so, thunder clouds rolled in, kettle drums vibrated above, strobe lights flashed, and rain pummeled the Silver Valley. I took comfort in knowing that if I missed any spots in the lawn with my hand watering, this gully washer would more than make up for it.

3. Carol and Paul hosted family dinner tonight. Carol roasted a chicken and infused it with preserved lemons she had canned a few years ago, grilled chunks of romaine lettuce (I hope it didn't come from Yuma -- or is that scare over now?), grilled marinated green beans in foil packets, and made a KetoPerfect cauliflower mash. We ate outside at Carol and Paul's. The temperature had climbed into the 80s today, but by dinner time -- and with the aforementioned thunderstorm gathering -- the air cooled off and made eating on Carol and Paul's patio a pleasure and a bit of a relief.

No comments: