Saturday, June 2, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 06/01/18: Kidney Function Stable, Daisies from Pine Creek, Party Time

1.  I nervously opened up the LabCorp portal online after receiving an email notification that my results from my Tuesday blood work were available for me to review. In March, my kidney function had dipped a bit and I was anxious about the possibility that it had dipped again. It didn't. My numbers hadn't changed significantly over the last three months and that's what the doctor and I always want to see. Now I look forward to talking with Dr. Kristi Jones on Thursday to see what she has to say.

2. Since I cleaned out the two riverstone round planters Dad built many years ago, I now wanted to buy flowers to plant in them and made a trip out to the Pine Creek Nursery. Unlike many nurseries I've been to which are huge, Pine Creek Nursery is modest sized with very friendly help and a splendid variety of vegetables and plants for sale. I bought Shasta Daisies and a variety of Brown-Eyed Susans and will plant them on Saturday.

3. Starting at four o'clock this afternoon, life in our family turned into a several hour party. It began around our kitchen table when Shawn, Teresa, the Deke, Patrick, Christy, Jane, and I celebrated the end of another week of remodeling work on Christy and Everett's and the Deke's and my houses. The early part of the week was trying for Shawn and Christy and Everett's house is especially disrupted right now, so we were all in the mood to relax, enjoy some drinks, tell stories, and be witty.

The drinks were superb: Christy contributed a bottle of the transcendent Uncle Val's Botanical Gin. I brought Shawn's favorite, Basil Hayden's Bourbon. I also contributed No-Li's Big and Juicy IPA and Sierra Nevada's Hazy Little Thing IPA. If we were hoping to put Shawn and Teresa's work week behind us, chill out, and enjoy one another's company, we sure succeeded.

About an hour after our round table party broke up, the Deke, Patrick, Christy, Everett, and I headed uptown. All of us, except the Deke, ate Chinese food at Wah Hing and then we all meandered next door to the Inland Lounge. The Deke was in deep conversation with DeAnne. I stopped right upon entering the Lounge and yukked it up with Eddie Joe and John Sevy; then I checked in with the Deke and made my way to the table Christy and Everett had landed. As the evening went on, I had a good session with Jake, Carol Lee, Doug, Eileen, Harley, and Candy. It was fun introducing Patrick to Friday night at the Lounge and being a part of a the good natured, company loving scene.

No comments: