Thursday, June 14, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 06/13/18: Leaving Kellogg, Familiar Drive, Arriving at the Turners

1.  The Deke and I sprang out of bed this morning and with cool efficiency got our things together and were ready to hit the road for Portland at 8:00.  Shawn will be working on buttoning up the remodeling project while we're away, including sanding and varnishing our bedroom floor and I helped him haul our bed out into the living room. He listed for us the things he has to finish up -- some paint here, some caulk there, clean up this, get that in order -- and everything should be done when we return.

2. It's such a familiar route for the Deke and me, the long stretches of I-90, Highway 395, I-82, I-84, on on down I-205. It had been long enough since I made this drive that I marveled anew at the fertile undulations through the Palouse and at the majesty of the Columbia River and the hillsides on the Washington side of the river that I've always thought looked like sleeping elephants. Coming into the forest land after Hood River -- and having the wind settle down -- gave me an old feeling of comfort, reminded me of how I fell in love with Oregon when I first moved to Eugene nearly forty years ago.

When we left I-84, we merged onto the standstill traffic of I-205 as rush hour was getting underway. I know I am obligated as a native of Kellogg, Idaho to hate this thick traffic, but for some unknown reason, I didn't hate it on the Beltway in D.C. and I didn't hate it today. People today were patient, orderly, and well-behaved on I-205 and we inched along just fine and I occupied my mind with thoughts about city life and urban energy and how I love Kellogg and simultaneously really miss D. C., and I also reminded myself that as a retiree, I could afford to develop a positive outlook on traffic congestion because I've never had to deal with it every day and I was never under much pressure to be anywhere at a certain time.

3. The Deke and I piled into Terry and Nancy Turner's home in Gladstone and started right in having a great time. Terry named the Five Fin Pilsner beer for Pelican Brewing and had several bottles on hand and we all dove into the light, citrusy and slightly spicy goodness of the Five Fin. Terry had begun preparing an awesome moussaka for dinner. We relished it along with beets and a fresh salad and fun flavored vinegars to try on it. Nancy and the Deke toured Nancy's craft room and the Deke got to see Nancy's latest project on her loom.

After dinner, we relaxed over sips of Burnside Bourbon and a single malt Irish whiskey and great conversation, all of which got me settled down and ready for bed after a many miles of driving and a fun reunion with lifelong friends.

No comments: