Friday, June 8, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 06/07/18: Visiting the Kidney Doctor, Stout Tasting, Silver Valley Farmers Market

1. I hadn't seen Dr. Kristie Jones, Nephrologist, since January and because I had read my blood work report before I walked in her examination room, I was as certain as I could be as to what she'd say. My kidney function has stayed at about 17% over the last few months and my other numbers are good. In other words, I continue to live with weak kidneys, but things are staying stable. My next task is to join the transplant list at the Sacred Heart Transplant Center in Spokane and Dr. Jones initiated the paperwork today to get that process started.

2.  Shawn is going to knock off in the early afternoon on Friday, so after my appointment and chest x-ray at Kootenai Health, we stopped in at Pilgrim's Market and were thrilled to see they had bottles of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout (KBS) from Founders Brewing. Shawn and his wife, Teresa, are both Michiganders and Founders is brewed in Grand Rapids, so we decided to buy a couple bottles along with a bomber of Iron Goat's Goatmeal Stout brewed in Spokane. We relished the Founders KBS. All of its complex flavors are ones I love: dark chocolate, roasted coffee, vanilla, molasses, a bit of oak, and the sweetness of bourbon. Weighing in at at 12.3% ABV, KBS is capable of throwing some lethal haymakers, so it was good that we were splitting the two 12 ounce bottles four ways. Shawn and I both poured some Basil Hayden's bourbon on top of our last little bit of KSB and we both loved the way the stout and the bourbon blended.

I also enjoyed the Goatmeal Stout, but I'll write more about it another time when my thoughts are not quite so dominated by epicurean wonders of KBS.

3.  On their posters, it's called the Silver Valley Farmers Market -- no apostrophe, making the word "farmers" an adjective telling what type of market it is.

On their Facebook page, it's called the Silver Valley Farmers' Market -- the apostrophe says that multiple farmers own the market.

I'm going with the first option. I don't think any farmers own this market, but many of us have become familiar with the type of market called a farmers market.

So, the Deke and I went to the opening of the Silver Valley Farmers Market this afternoon. We saw a bunch of people we know -- Paige, Liz, Becky, Fred, Val, Ashley, Erin, Patti, Rod, Rick, Shawn, Teresa, Mitch, and more. We took a quick stroll along the bike path and glanced at booths, but ended up spending most of our time in the beer garden where we did most of our socializing. The Deke reconnected with Emma and they talked ukuleles. A lot of excitement buzzed throughout the Farmers Market. Not only was there a terrific crowd, it was a happy crowd, and I kept hearing people say, "Can you believe how great this is?" I look forward to returning every Thursday that we are in town.

No comments: