Thursday, June 28, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 06/27/18: Being Christy's Handyman(Sort of), Front Bedroom Progress, Salmon and Contented Corgis

1. Christy knew I was up early this morning and texted me to with a request to come over. She needed a toilet riser, a gopher grab and pick up tool, and some cough drops. I rocketed straight out to WalMart and found what she needed, with some low grade anxiety that the toilet riser might not fit. Sure enough, I took it out of the box and I failed in my my first three or four (or five) attempts to attach it to Christy and Everett's toilet. But, I persisted. I studied the contraption a little more closely, had an aha! moment regarding how it worked and I succeeded. (Quick sidebar: this is quite a week for me, as a perennially un-handy man. I have now figured out why water was dripping from our basement ceiling, fixed a leaky faucet, and secured a riser on a toilet. It's a miracle.) The riser has arms. Only one would fit because of the toilent's proximity to the bathroom's north wall, but the one arm is a help.

Later, I did some shopping for Christy and got a couple of prescriptions filled for her at Yoke's.

For having been through a major surgery, Christy is hanging right in there. She's doing the physical therapy exercises that she learned at the hospital. She's in pain and we all hope the pain will diminish sooner than later.

As best I can tell, she's doing everything she's been told to do and everyone who's had this surgery says that following orders is the key to successful recovery and rehab.

2. The Deke and I worked more on getting the front bedroom cleared out and we are almost there. We worked on finding new places new put some things, got rid of other things, and were surprised by some things we found. Our next task will be to sweep and clean the floor, put down a rug, and then decide how to furnish this room -- for the first time in many, many years, I see a television in our near future.

3. I bought a chunk of salmon and seasoned and grilled it on our gas range griddle and the Deke made a delicious salad and we enjoyed dinner on the deck in the cool quiet of the evening. For the corgis, our back yard is a spacious playground of endless places to sniff and explore with many bushes to duck into and places to bury things. It was fun to watch them circumnavigate the yard, pop out of sight on occasion, and enjoy feeling content. The corgis always loved Kellogg and Mom's yard when we came to visit and they are especially happy to now be living here.

No comments: