Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 06/25/18: Successful Surgery, Visiting Christy, Looking Ahead

1. Christy's surgeon emerged from the operating room with good news. He proclaimed Christy's knee replacement surgery a success. The Deke told me that he said, "Perfect."

2. I ran a couple of errands upon getting this news and Everett and I piled into their rig and, after a big lunch at Sam's, headed to Cd'A to see Christy. We arrived around 3 o'clock, thinking that Christy would be out of the recovery room and situated in her hospital room. But, spinal blocks sometimes lower blood pressure and, in recovery, Christy's blood pressure went down. The staff treated her, kept her under close observation, and, when her blood pressure had come back up to a level that was safer, she was delivered to her room where Everett and I awaited her.

Christy was in great spirits. She was aware of everything that had been going on and recounted for us what the nurses told her about the surgery and her blood pressure. Repeatedly, she bent her leg toward herself to show us that she already could bend her knee pretty well and it was a relief to see that her pain medication was working well.

Everett and I had a good visit with Christy and, not long after returning home, Christy texted us that she had been able, with the assistance of her walker, to walk to the bathroom in her room. To me, this was great news!

3.  Once home, I didn't need dinner thanks to the chicken fried steak breakfast I'd eaten at Sam's for lunch. The tension and excitement of visiting Christy, however, left me worn out and so I took a nap instead of eating. Later in the evening, the Deke and I sat under the string of lights now running under our roof's gutters, above the deck, and split a bottle of Ninkasi's Vanilla Oatis and started trying to plan for the upcoming week and looked ahead to what our summer -- and a ways beyond -- might look like.

No comments: