Sunday, June 24, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 06/23/18: Figuring Out the Front Bedroom, New Cell Phones, Perfect Party at the Daft Badger

1. Ever since we started moving into Mom and Dad's house in September, the front bedroom has been a room of uncertainty. It's been a catch all room for miscellaneous things: books, framed pictures, a nightstand Mom used next to her bed, and other things and we haven't really decided what to do with the room. Today the Deke and I stood in it and began to imagine where we might put a small television and a couple of chairs and a computer desk and desktop computer. This means doing some shopping we haven't done yet, but I think within the next four weeks we will finally get this room shaped into a comfortable place to watch movies and do computer things.

2. We had a thunderstorm Thursday evening. The Deke had put her cell phone on the deck's railing and forgot she'd done so. The the thunderstorm bathed the cell phone, killing it. So, today we buzzed over to the Verizon store so the Deke could purchase a new cell phone and, while we were there, we had a what the heck moment and I bought one, too.  Jade, the rep who helped us get everything set up, was fun to work with. I think Jade found the Deke and me fun, too. Once again, as has happened countless times over the last several years, we had another great experience with one of the "young people today" that so many people our age seem to find reasons to consistently complain about. Jade was knowledgeable, fun, solicitous, and seemed to enjoy her job. Again and again, these "young people today" continue to be a source of much enjoyment for us.

3. We decided to forego a trip to Michael's or to Costco and darted straight to the Daft Badger. Over the past several months, another one of the "young people today" named Kyra has been our server and she has always been terrific: she's bright, prompt, conversational, knows the Daft Badger well, and fun to work with. Kyra told us she's decided to leave CdA and move elsewhere and enjoy another part of the USA. Good for her! We'll miss Kyra, but it was fun to hear her talk about what's next, see her excitement, and feel a bit of her uncertainty about what she'll do at the next place she moves to.

Sometimes I drink a Double IPA because I want a beer that will jolt me out of any complacency I might be experiencing and hit me between the eyes with explosive hoppiness and multiple flavors. But, today was different. I ordered a small pour of Hop Faced 2IPA and enjoyed its mellowness. It's quite a feat, I think, to brew a hoppy beer with plenty of juicy flavors, but to make it easy to drink, easy like Sunday morning. The Deke and I had a first-rate conversation about possibilities I'm not at liberty to divulge that we might seize upon over the next several months and the smooth, comforting Hop Faced 2IPA enriched my enjoyment of our conversation.

We also enjoyed splitting one of our favorite sandwiches at the Daft Badger, their BLT. I might have this all wrong, but I think the sandwich was different today from what I've had before, but I don't fully trust my memory. I loved the sun-dried tomatoes on our sandwich and didn't remember this feature the last time I had the BLT at Daft Badger. Whether I have the facts quite right or not, I loved this sandwich along with our garbanzo bean salad.  Maybe the sandwich was built the same as always and I was just more tuned in to how delicious it is.

For the Deke and me, this was a perfect party.

No comments: