Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 06/04/18: Transplanting Daylilies, Fish Fertilizer Memories, Plumbing Day Coming

1.  In the aftermath of Sunday night's thunderstorm and downpour, the temperatures in the Silver Valley were very cool and the skies had clouds all day long with intermittent periods of sunshine. I seized upon this cool weather to do a little more gardening.

At Sunday's family dinner, I asked about the daylilies on the west side of the house, between ours and Jane's places. I hadn't thought much about them, but the Deke suggested that maybe we'd like to move some of them to a place (or places) where they would be seen more easily. I learned that these daylilies have been in this location since before Mom and Dad bought the house fifty-five years ago.

Today I cleared the grass and weeds out from a spot under the living room's picture window and dug up a few of the daylilies and transplanted them, hoping they survive the shock of being uprooted from their longtime home, hoping that they will add some variety and a lasting pop of yellow to the front of our house.

2.  Back in 1995 when I got really gung ho about planting flowers at my house in Eugene, I was very happy with the way Alaska Fish Fertilizer worked, so on Sunday I bought a jug of it and today I applied it to the plants in the back of the yard, the containers on the deck, and to the plants in the raised bed. Those early days of growing flowers twenty-three years ago were very exciting and the smell of the fertilizer took me back to 1995 and made me wish I still had the vigor and stamina I had that spring and summer and on into the fall when I used to enjoy the heat and could get so much more done in single day than I do now.

3. Shawn confirmed that Wednesday will be plumbing day and our toilet and bathroom sink will be set and our leaky hot water tank will be replaced. We hadn't planned on a new hot water tank when this project began, but, wouldn't ya know it, after being in the house for twenty-one years, the tank has had it. Its timing was pretty good in that we can make this job a part of the other work going on around the house.

No comments: