Monday, June 25, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 06/24/18: Chicken Prep, Family Dinner, Plumbing

1. The Deke and I were this evening's hosts for family dinner. Christy goes in tomorrow for knee replacement surgery, and so we asked Christy to make a request for a dinner that would be easy for her to enjoy. She'd mentioned earlier in the week that she hoped we'd have something simple and not too rich. She requested chicken thighs. At first, we were going to bake them, but today the temperatures climbed into the mid-80s and we decided not to use the oven. Instead, I salted and peppered the thighs, seared them, and thawed out a container of chicken stock I had made a few weeks ago. I then put the chicken pieces and the stock into our crock pot around 11:30 so the chicken thighs could cook slowly in the homemade stock.

2. The chicken thighs were done cooking around 2:00 or so. I left them in the crock pot, put the crock pot on warm, and the Deke prepared everything else: roasted Brussel sprouts and radishes, spinach, and cucumber salad. Everett had had a rough day with gout pain and stayed home to continue resting. Christy, Paul, Carol, the Deke and I fit ourselves around our deck table and enjoyed this meal in the ever cooling evening. Christy had maps and handouts and instructions ready for each of us. We all know what we can do to help her over the next few days while she is in the hospital and when she comes home.

3. I am doing my best to fix a dripping faucet in the basement. I looked at instructions online and got a pretty good understanding of what the repair requires, but had trouble getting a nut loosened to remove the tap's cartridge. Paul took a look at the tap and figured out that the valve need to be open before the nut would come off -- I wouldn't have thought of this -- so now I can take the cartridge over to Ace and get some help from them regarding washers. I'm in no hurry and I've appreciated what I've learned about very simple plumbing.

No comments: