Sunday, July 1, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 06/30/18: Christy Rallied, Remember When at the Great Rose Lake, Yakkin' at the Lounge

1. Christy had had a rough night with pain, restlessness, and difficulty getting comfortable when she messaged me early this morning and requested some ice machine therapy. I'm glad I'm an early riser and that all I needed to do was get some shoes on and bolt right over. I did my best to quickly get the ice and water loaded into the machine and to treat Christy's knee. Christy left the ice on for half an hour and it seemed to help. At this point in the day, Christy wasn't sure that she'd be able to do her exercises, but the really good news is that she rallied later in the day and did them twice, with ice therapy right afterward. I wasn't around for her second exercise session, so the Deke stepped up after I gave her a brief tutorial and she prepared the machine and helped ice Christy's knee.

The day started rough for Christy, but as time progressed, so did she, and, from my perspective, the healing is moving in a positive direction. 

2. Around three o'clock I leapt into the Sube and jetted out to Kingston where I picked up Ed and we buzzed out to The Great Rose Lake where Jake, Carol Lee, and Alan's band, Remember When, was having a practice session in preparation for their performance at Alan's 50 year high school reunion. They opened the practice up to family and friends and at twenty-five or thirty people sat in lawn chairs, braved the wind and the rain, feasted on finger food, and enjoyed old favorite songs and other music longing for the good old days. Some people danced, some sang along quietly with different songs, and everyone enjoyed the music and having fun together.

3. Ed and I hung out with Remember When and the people who came to hear them for about two and half hours. I dropped Ed off at his house and bolted straight uptown where Don Knott and I had arranged to enjoy a couple of Mountain Fresh Rainier beers together at the Inland Lounge. It was a slow night at the Lounge so Cas and Don and I got in a lot of first-rate yakkin' about baseball, music, crazy stuff that happened in Kellogg when we were younger -- and I lived elsewhere --, and about Cas and Tracy's upcoming trip to L.A. to see the Pirates play.  As we were jawin' away, Tracy magically appeared with a pizza and Cas and Tracy shared slices with Don and me and we kept talkin' about life in the Silver Valley and Lewiston/Clarkson where Don lives.

By the way, the new furniture came today and we put two comfortable chairs in the front bedroom and I set up our Amazon Echo with the Bose speaker in this room and soon it'll be a room to not only listen to music, but to watch television and do stuff on a desktop computer, once we purchase the equipment.

So, I dropped Don off at Eddie Joe's where he was meeting up with Eddie Joe and Pat. I'd only had three beers all day long and that was enough and it had been kind of a long day, so I went on home and plopped down in one of those comfortable chairs in the former front bedroom and listened to Michael Franks' album The Art of Tea, let memories of things that happened in Spokane from 1976-79 and then 1982-84 wash over me while messing around online, and soon called it a night.

No comments: