Monday, July 30, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 07/29/18: Shopping, Tilapia Family Dinner, Remembering Expo '74

1.  I returned from a fun trip to Worley with Ed and the Deke and I started making plans for tonight's family dinner, which we were hosting. I shopped a bit at Yoke's and stopped for a very enjoyable talk with Sue as she was going in and I was going out. I was especially interested in confirming news I had heard about the work her middle daughter is pursuing and was happy to hear it's true. Yoke's was out of tilapia so I buzzed into Stein's and they had the bags of frozen filets they usually carry. At Stein's I saw Meredith and I knew from past conversations that she loves hot weather and she confirmed that, indeed, this current heat wave was making her very happy. Of all the people I've talked with over the last few days, Meredith is unique in not complaining about the heat, not simply enjoying the heat, but enjoying it.

2. Back home, in order to comply with the guidelines of the Keto plan, the Deke made a "potato" salad using cauliflower instead of potatoes. She also made cold stuffed sweet peppers, using a delicious cream cheese mixture for the stuffing. I melted butter in our cast iron pan and on our stovetop grill and fried tilapia fillets seasoned with Old Bay seasoning, salt, and pepper. I was very pleased with how the tilapia turned out and I took a spin as the boring big brother during our meal and yakked for a while about National Bohemian beer in Maryland, known locally as Natty Boh, and how much I enjoyed having a Maryland Margarita or a bohgarita at Old Line when Kristin used to occasionally pour me a Natty Boh in a glass rimmed with Old Bay seasoning. I think she might have declared me to have become a true Marylander when I accepted her offer of giving this way of drinking Natty Boh a try.

3. After dinner and after icing Christy -- who has a had a painful and difficult past 24 hours -- I returned home and downloaded and activated the PBS app on our television and registered KSPS, the PBS station in Spokane, on the app. One of the offerings on this app was documentaries made at KSPS and I browsed them and decided to watch a couple of KSPS shows that looked back at the 1974 World's Fair in Spokane, Expo '74. It was fascinating to revisit the way the construction of the Expo transformed the railroad yards along the Spokane River and Trent Avenue into a glorious site that is now Riverfront Park and includes the Convention Center and what I've always known as the Opera House, now known as the IMB Performing Arts Center.  I didn't spend a lot of time at Expo '74, but these programs helped me remember singing at Expo with the NIC choir, being staggered by the movie that played in the IMAX theater, seeing the USSR National basketball team play a team of USA college all-starts at the Coliseum, and going with my Whitworth classmates who were also taking a History of Russia class to hear a tedious lecture given by a tedious man from the USSR. 

No comments: