Monday, July 2, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 07/01/18: Tough Night and Better Day, Organizing, King Street Dinner Party

1. Christy did her exercises twice today, as she's been prescribed to do. Her days are better than her nights and so she's not getting very much or very good sleep at night. Her nurse comes in on Monday so they'll discuss this problem. She is thinking some ice machine therapy around bedtime might help her sleep at night and I'm guessing we'll give that a try tonight (Monday).

2. I am spending a lot of time these days sorting out and reorganizing folders of pictures on my hard drive and on my external storage drive. My external drive is old and I'm going to move everything from it to a new drive I just purchased. It's tedious work, sorting through my folders, but it's also fun to remember pictures I took, to see ones I'd forgotten about, and to begin to feel like soon I'll put other things aside that have been pre-occupying me and get the camera back in action again.

3. The Deke's ukulele playing pal Emma invited us to Wallace to a dinner party at her house. I honestly don't think I'd been on King Street since one day back in the summer of 1972 when King Street Hitters Jake and Doc invited me up one afternoon and we told stories, talked baseball, laughed, and couldn't get enough of the bass solo in Sly and the Family Stone's "Dance to the Music" ("I'm gonna add some bottom/So that the dancers just won't hide"). I had no idea up until that moment that any other guys on the Legion team, let alone in the Silver Valley, got fired up by Sly and the Family Stone. I thought I was alone in listening to that song and pulling out an air bass guitar and playing that funk bassline along with Larry Graham. I also used to hear stories about a very accomplished Wallace golfer, a little older than I was, who was reputed to have hit golf balls with his driver down the middle of King Street, a roadway narrower than any fairway I ever played on. I don't know if he really did this, but as we walked to the party, I imagined him doing so.

We had a fun dinner party. We made new acquaintances with Eric, Steve, C(K)athy, Dr. Steve, and Ginny and enjoyed a delicious steak and salmon dinner. The Deke and Emma broke out ukes and played some John Prine and their rendition of "Fever". I talked a lot with Dr. Steve about our shared history growing up in Kellogg, albeit about eight years apart. It was a good evening with a lot of good food, cheer, and gabbin'.

No comments: