Saturday, July 28, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 07/27/18: Lunch with Longtime Friends, Yakkin' at Wallace Brewing, Old Friends at the Lounge

1. Last week, Kenton Bird had emailed me, wondering if I'd like to get together with him and Tim O'Reilly for lunch in Kellogg. I told him I'd also invite Christy and later on I invited Scott and Ed and Diane. Diane was out of town, but the other six of us met today at Radio Brewing for a fun reunion of five class of 72ers and Christy, from the class of '73. We all have long and deep history with one another and it was fun to get caught up on how things are today and to remember back to some things from the past. Everyone was impressed with Christy's mobility and the progress of her recovery and I don't think she had any problem with her knee over the 90 minutes or so we were at Radio Brewing.

2. Later in the afternoon, the Deke and I piled into the Sube and landed at Wallace Brewing. Our hopes of seeing Conversational Beer take place were dashed by our late arrival and by Wallace Brewing's internet being out. We met up with Emma and she was at a table with a bunch of other people and the only one I met was Michelle who is Amy Lynn's partner. I remarked that it seems like I can't go anywhere in Wallace without meeting a member of the Lynn family tree or a resident of King Street and we had a good laugh and some great conversation. The people I didn't know left after a while and Cathleen and Chase joined our table and I absorbed all kinds of lively stories about contemporary life on King Street and ended our visit with a short discussion with Chase about when their Imperial IPA is available.

3. The Deke and I raced back to Kellogg and swooped into the Lounge and Ed was talking with Julie and I sat next to Bird Legs, whom I hadn't seen for a while, and we gabbed away, and before long Jake and Carol Lee arrived and another party was underway. Jake and I left after a while to go across the street to the Elks where the KHS Class of 1968 was having a 50 year reunion meet and greet. Tim's wife, Katie, is a member of this class so we knew we'd find Tim and my hope was to find Sharann. We did find Tim, right away, and soon Sharann and I were embracing each other and after we talked for a while I invited her to the Lounge to meet the Deke. Pam was also at the Lounge and I hadn't seen her for a long time and she told a story about when her family came to see ours and her brother, Dood, was excited to play with me but I put him off because I was busy reading a volume of our encyclopedias. I was probably five years old. Dad had me put the encyclopedia down and taught me to be a better host. We all got a good laugh out of that story! The 68ers returned to the Elks and Eddie Joe arrived and he and I yakked with Tim and soon it was time to head home, bringing a really fun evening to an end.

No comments: