Sunday, July 8, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 07/07/18: Listening to Eugene Radio, Rockin' the Lounge, Baseball Research

1. I spent an inordinate amount of time in the room we used to call the front bedroom listening to radio stations from Eugene. I had a great time listening to Jivin' Johnny, The Beatles Hour, The Magical Mystery Tour, and Acoustic Junction on KRVM-FM and wish I'd had more time to listen to Dead Air on KLCC-FM, but I did catch about 45 minutes of it. The highlight of my hours with KRVM-FM was hearing the Grateful Dead's China Sunflower Cat>I Know You Rider from the 8-27-1972 show at the Old Renaissance Faire Grounds in Veneta, OR. I must take some time soon and listen to this entire show.

2. Not long after a delicious taco salad at home, the Deke and I head up to the Inland Lounge. We'd been at the Lounge for over an hour when the place cleared out and the Deke and I were the only customers. Cas played an epic series of tunes on the Lounge's digital jukebox, some of them accompanied by videos. We listened to Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton, Joe Walsh, Tom Petty, The Allman Brothers, Bob Dylan, Jeff Beck, Disturbed, Pink Floyd, among other artists. It was an awesome party.

3. In preparation for our visit to the Lounge, I spent another inordinate chunk of time poring over the baseball stats of Manny Mota, Matty Alou, and Felipe Alou, and I read several articles about which players have hit home runs all the way out of Dodger Stadium. This feat was achieved by Willie Stargell twice and once by Mike Piazza, Mark McGwire, and Giancarlo Stanton.

No comments: