Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 07/23/18: Kidney Days, Koreatown and Test Kitchen Tacos, Family Dinner

1. Coming into this week, I had declared, to myself, Monday and Tuesday as Kidney Days. I determined that on Monday I would buckle down and fill out the paperwork that would continue the process of being evaluated at Sacred Heart in Spokane to be listed for a kidney transplant.  I did that. I also need to start having my monthly blood draw performed uptown at LabCorp and I got everything ready to go up on Tuesday and see about making that happen. I filled out the paperwork. I mailed it in. I made the photocopies I needed to make for Tuesday and will go uptown as soon as possible and be done with Kidney Days.

2. Before and after I vacuumed our living room, kitchen, and bedroom -- floors, rugs, and furniture --, I watched food shows on television. The Koreatown episode of Parts Unknown was awesome as different residents of this section of L. A. took Anthony Bourdain into eateries, including a Sizzler steakhouse, along with a dumpling joint, Beverly Soon's Tofu Restaurant, a Bangladeshi place, a Korean taco truck, and, maybe best of all, the family home of one of his hosts. I love Korean food with its emphasis on fermentation, bbq, spiciness, and multiple layers of flavor and dearly wished Korean cuisine were nearby Kellogg. Well, I shouldn't whine! All I need to do is go to Spokane!

I also watched an episode of America's Test Kitchen and I was particularly intrigued by watching one of their chefs make tacos using beef shredded from braised boneless short ribs, topped with an awesome looking slaw. In order to have access to this recipe and about 14 billion others in the Cook's empire, I needed to buy an online subscription -- so I did -- and I started a board on Pinterest with my America's Test Kitchen/Cook recipes. I am looking forward to making the braised short ribs one day, even whether we use the meat for tacos or eat them as they are. I spent time, then, exploring other America's Test Kitchen recipes and, lo and behold, I found some recipes for Korean, or at least Korean style, dishes that look fun and delicious -- especially once the weather cools off and I don't mind heating up the kitchen.

3. Carol and Paul hosted family dinner tonight. Even with her knee far from 100% healed, Christy didn't seem to have any problems getting over to Carol and Paul's and coming into the back yard -- this was very good to see. Carol made sauerkraut and sausage and Paul grilled lettuce and a mess of vegetables and it was a splendid dinner out on their patio. It was a very comfortable evening nicely punctuated when Carol served Limoncello, but I declined and opted instead for a delicious Brandy Alexander made with heavy cream.

No comments: