Friday, September 18, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 09/17/20: *Jazz*, Prof Bebop, Prepping Family Dinner BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1.  One day, I'll go back and watch the episodes of Ken Burns' series, Jazz, that cover the first days of jazz on through 1940. But, at this time, my interest is much more in the evolution of jazz from 1940 to, well, about 2000, since the series was released in 2001. Watching these episodes, I learned more about the way styles of jazz grew out of one style's response to what came before it and the way jazz gave voice to social and political developments in the life of the USA. What I've watched has secured for me what I thought was true: my tastes in jazz are eclectic and I do not have any investment in making assessments about what is jazz and what isn't. I am enthralled by bebop, cool jazz, fusion, as well as the big band sound and I find the sonic explorations of free and avant garde jazz fascinating and sometimes perfect for giving musical expression to ways I feel about things. 

Although Jazz didn't cover this, I think I'm also coming to appreciate more fully the way bepop and possibly cool jazz inspired the Beat poets and I went on YouTube today and listened to Jack Kerouac read his poem, "Charlie Parker" to the piano accompaniment of Steve Allen. 

2.  This afternoon, I tuned into the Billy Collins poetry broadcast. When Billy Collins introduces us to a jazz musician, he puts on sunglasses and assumes the role of Professor Bebop. On the one hand, he's being kind of funny when he plays Professor Bebop, but, at the same time, his comments are informative and are expanding my enjoyment of jazz music. 

As I listen to more of Billy Collins' poetry and to what he says about jazz, I find myself wanting to learn more about the poetics of Beat poetry and possibly understanding a little bit about how Billy Collins' style of poetry is related, if it is, to Beat poetry and, in turn, to jazz. I might be making this all up. If I am, fine -- but these questions are swirling around in my head.

3. I am hosting family dinner this Sunday and Hugh and Carol Crozier will be joining us. I spent time today putting my shopping list together and planning what food I'll prepare. I'll get going on all of this on Friday and Saturday -- the food prep will be simple and what I have planned for us to eat will taste better on Sunday if it's made a day or two in advance.

A limerick by Stu:

Very few in this world are called "Best"!
Who still stand alone at the crest.
And, though others are great,
Two's the best they can rate.
As Jimi tops the list we attest!

Jimi Henrix passed away on this date in 1970, joining many others in the "27" Club!

No comments: