Sunday, September 20, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 09/19/20: Grip It and Rip It, Food Prep Finished, Sunday Hopes BONUS A Limerick by Stu

 1. The third round of the U. S. Open intrigued me. The two leaders, Matthew Wolff and Bryson DeChambeau, up to this point, have taken, and succeeded with, the strategy of "grip it and rip it" to a level that has boggled my mind. It's widely assumed by golf experts that in order to win a U. S. Open, a golfer must keep the ball in the fairway and avoid the thick, tangly, tall, and punishing rough. Players at the elite level depend on being able to control their shots and it's very difficult to do so when striking the ball in the overgrown rough at Winged Foot. 

Wolff and Bryson turned the conventional wisdom upside down. Both players missed more fairways than they hit, but because of their physical strength and because of their considerable length off the tee (especially DeChambeau) that meant their shots from the rough were shorter, they hit remarkable shots out of the rough and overcame their inaccurate shots off the tee.  

Who will win on Sunday? I have no predictions, no idea.

2. I balanced my time between the Vizio room and golf and the kitchen. The buffalo chicken pasta sort of a salad was finished. I finished making the Thai noodle salad. I made a tabouli styled rice salad. I made a batch of hummus and a blue cheese dip for celery to go with the buffalo chicken pasta sort of salad. I thawed out some naan bread to dip in the hummus and I'll also put out some wine, peanuts and pickled vegetables. We'll have kind of a buffet/eat when you are ready/informal family dinner when Hugh and Carol (and possibly Stu) arrive.

3. I'm glad the food is ready to go -- I think each of the salads I made will benefit from being prepared ahead of time, giving the flavors a chance to settle in. All that's left now is getting the house spiffed up a bit and preparing the deck for guests. I hope it won't be too cold to eat outside. I'll be ready to move things indoors if necessary, but it's not supposed to rain on Sunday and temperature is forecast to be cool, but not cold. 


Here's a limerick by Stu (and a little message!):

For all people who missed it, yesterday was.......

Me likes me patch on me eye. 
Me likes Jolly Roger up high. 
And me hook for a hand, 
Treasure buried in sand. 
And me peg for me leg gets me by.

Talk like a Pirate Day
Don't forget it in 2021

No comments: