Saturday, September 26, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 09/25/20: Experimenting, Gratitude, Puzzles BONUS A Limerick by Stu

 Note: This is my 5100th post over here at kelloggbloggin.

1. I bought a whole chicken the other day at Yoke's, thinking I'd like to experiment with a different braise. Today, I cooked some onion, ginger, and garlic in butter and then added a can of diced tomatoes, a tablespoon of curry powder, and a handful of cilantro to the pot and lowered the seared whole chicken into this braise and slow cooked it for a couple of hours or so. 

I decided, once I'd cut the chicken meat into pieces and put it all in a glass container, that I'd use the braise as a marinate. I poured the braise over the chicken pieces, sealed it, and put it in the refrigerator. 

On Saturday, my plan is to make my first creamy Indian curry sauce, put the marinated chicken pieces in the sauce, and see how it tastes served over rice. I'm not sure what to expect, but at the very least, this experiment means I'm trying new things.

2. Once again, rather than watch Billy Collins live, I watched his broadcast in the early evening on the
Vizio. I poured myself a cup of hot chocolate and rum and enjoyed Sonny Rollins, a surprise visit by the Rolling Stones, and especially enjoyed Billy Collins' poems expressing gratitude -- I don't have the titles handy, but one was about returning home, another about listening to Sonny Rollins while walking in Manhattan, and another about the asparagus stalks painted on a friend's kitchen wall. 

3. While waiting for chicken to braise and to help me wind down before going to sleep, I've sure been enjoying solving acrostic puzzles. It might be wise for me to take a break, though, and spend some time outdoors instead of doing puzzles!

A limerick by Stu: 


Imagine that you’re back in school. 
With classes online as a rule. 
You’d probably miss all your friends, 
As the quarantine never ends! 
For kids, 2020’s been cruel.

No comments: