Sunday, May 2, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 05/01/2021:Peace on Cougar Bay, Hiking the Nature Reserve, Relaxing on the Deck

1. I was out the door at 7 a.m., soon rocketing over the 4th of July Pass to Cougar Bay. I knew Jeff would be returning to Ventura on Sunday and I had a hike with Byrdman planned, so I had asked Jeff if I could come by his lake place for a cup of coffee and a visit before he left.

The early morning calm of Lake Coeur d'Alene under a nearly cloudless sky quieted my spirit as Jeff and I enjoyed drinking coffee and talking about things. Before long, Jeff's daughter Mekalyn joined us. Jeff offered to make an onion tomato egg scramble with rye toast and we continued talking about a variety of things over this delicious breakfast.

After we finished breakfast, we talked a little longer and I departed, refreshed and nourished by the beauty of the lakescape, a most enjoyable visit with Jeff and Mekalyn, and a tasty breakfast.

2. Byrdman and I had decided to meet at his place around 10:45 and knowing I'd have some time on my hands after visiting Jeff, I had planned a trip to Costco to gas up the Sube and pick up a few things. I did a lot of aimless wandering in Costco, something I enjoy doing and hadn't indulged in for over a year, racked up over 1000 steps, and picked up cat food, toilet paper, and a zip-lock bag variety pack, all unplanned. 

Byrdman and I piled into his pickup and headed to the Cougar Bay Nature Preserve for an awesome hike. We began down low, near the shore of the wetlands of this part of Cougar Bay and eventually hiked uphill to a lookout platform built as an Eagle Scout project. We caught up with a friendly couple from Whitefish, MT and their guest from Ohio and later a couple with a friendly Huskie Malamute mix and some other amiable hikers. 

By the time we returned to Byrdman's truck, I had accumulated over 8000 steps for the day, the most I've walked/hiked in any one day in 2021. If I needed further verification that the slump I experienced in Pendleton a couple of weeks ago was a temporary thing, today sealed the deal. Yes, today I huffed and puffed. Yes, as always, while hiking uphill I went slowly and needed regular stops to slow down my heartbeat, cool down, and regain my breath. I'm recovering more quickly, my legs feel stronger, and this hike was invigorating, not a grind. 

3. Whereas Jeff's place overlooking the lake is on the east side of US 95, Byrdman's son's home is on the west side uphill from the highway. He lives in an A-frame with a deck surrounding the first floor of the house and Byrdman, Stephanie, and I relaxed on the deck with a gorgeous view of Lake Coeur d'Alene. Byrdman and I enjoyed some cold, refreshing hard cider and then split a couple cans of 10 Barrels Greyhounds. 

Like the Wide World of Sports, our conversations spanned the globe. We ate pizza and enjoyed a most leisurely couple of hours of relaxation until we returned to Byrdman's place, declared the day a resounding success, assured each other another hike will be coming up, and I blasted back to Kellogg in the Sube. 

No comments: