Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 05/03/2021: Poetry Sleuthing, Remembering Mom's Service, Heading East

 1. I met Bev when I was the visiting writer for three years for the Writing Project summer writing workshops through the University of Idaho from 2008-10. Bev contacted me today looking for a poem to help her write a poem of her own for Mother's Day. I didn't recognize the poem she described, but her inquiry sent me back into this blog and I took a sentimental journey back to those three summers and my trips to McCall, in 2008, and to Lake Coeur d'Alene the next two years.

With some help from her daughter, Bev found the poem's title: "What She Could Do" by Elizabeth Holmes and I located it online. I didn't know the poem, so I wasn't the one who had presented it as a prompt in a workshop Bev had been in. I thought possibly Bev was looking for George Bilgere's "The Table" and sent that poem to her -- but it was, indeed, Holmes' poem she'd been looking for.

The time I spent chatting online with Bev, looking back at blog entries, and reading "The Table" and "What She Could Do" made my day. I loved chatting with Bev and I loved going back and reliving those workshops, especially the week in 2009. That year I wrote my most detailed summaries of what we did in the daily workshops and I enjoyed having it come back to me.

2. I took another trip to the past tonight when Christy asked me what Scriptures had been a part of Mom's Celebration of Life. I couldn't remember, but I knew they were in the eulogy I gave at Mom's service. I retrieved and printed out the eulogy. I was able to answer Christy's question.  I hadn't read the eulogy since the fall of 2017 when we celebrated her life. 

It got to me. 

3. It's set. Granddaughter Ellie will be baptized in Nyack, NY at Grace Episcopal Church on June 6th. Debbie has arranged to be able to get away (with me) for a couple of days leading into that weekend. We'll go on some kind of a trip. Now I just need to decide how long I want to be back east, what else I plan to do, and book myself tickets to get there. 

No comments: