Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 05/18/2021: Walking to Vote, Korean Tacos and Big Hop Mess, Uplifing and Sobering Concert

 1. I got in a good walk today. Our local polling site is uptown at the Elks Club and I so early this afternoon I hoofed it uptown to vote in the local water district election. While I was at it, I also dropped off a bill payment in the postal box in front of the now closed Stein's grocery store and put my utilities payment in the Avista dropbox. 

2. I extended my walk a ways and strolled up to Radio Brewing. I wanted to try their Big Hop Mess IPA and enjoyed both 10 oz pours. I snacked on two delicious Korean street tacos. In the course of my walking and while at Radio, I was in touch with Debbie and we talked more about how this summer might play out and about my trip to New York on the 29th. My pedometer is out of commission, but I think to walk to Radio Brewing and back covers between 2.5 and 3 miles. I like getting a little stronger.  

3. Tonight's Tree House Concert was uplifting and sobering. Bill's performance was superb -- and uplifting. He played some great songs from many years ago like "Comfort", "Radio On", and "Concrete Tree" and an emotionally charged and more recent song, "Life on the Sound". 

What was sobering? Bill has MS and as the weather warms, his symptoms get worse. It's painful for him to play his guitar. Bill announced tonight that for the foreseeable future, he will perform Tree House Concerts once a month rather than once a week. Consequently, his next concert online will be on June 1st and we'll all find out as the summer goes on how the reduced performance schedule works for Bill and how much he'll be able to play. It was heartening to read the supportive comments listeners posted after Bill announced his change in plans. These concerts have been a source of joy and comfort over the last year. All of us regular concert goers are deeply grateful for all that Bill has given us and are doubly grateful that Bill will continue to perform this summer. We are all sending the very best of wishes and the most healing of energy. We know trying and difficult days lie ahead for Bill.

No comments: