Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 05/10/2021: Slow Day, Great Leftovers, Palestinian Dishes

1. Sunday was a day packed with intellectual and culinary adventures and pleasure. Today turned out to be a day of rest, interrupted only by my slow and successful efforts to tidy up the kitchen after all the fun I had in there yesterday.

2. I snacked on pocket bread with Hummus and Baba Ghannouj throughout the day. At dinner time, I put the leftover chunk of fish and red peppers, tomatoes, olives, and potatoes left over from family dinner atop a rectangle of aluminum foil, folded it almost shut, and put it in a pot with about a quarter or half an inch of water. I brought the water to a boil, turned the heat way down, put a lid on the pot, and used this method to steam heat the fish dish. It worked. The fish warmed up and didn't get cooked much more and I enjoyed revisiting all the Moroccan flavors and the pleasing texture of the Chilean Sea Bass.

3.  When I retired for the night, I wound down, not only by having Luna on my chest and Copper pressed against my left calf, but by reading about dishes in the cookbook, Zaiton: Recipes from the Palestinian Kitchen. I wanted to jump out of bed, drive to Yoke's, buy several whole chickens, stew meat, raisins, lamb shoulder, ground beef, and other items, and start cooking. These recipes look brilliant and the only ingredient consistently called for that I don't have is pomegranate molasses. Time to order a bottle. Time to figure out when to get crackin' on cooking some of this food! 

No comments: